Minister of State for Health & Family Welfare, Smt. Panabaaka Lakshmi informed that National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) Ministry of Health & Family Welfare programme i.e was launched by Hon’ble Prime Minister on 12th April 2005. The NRHM provides the overarching umbrella to the existing programmes of Health and Family Welfare including Reproductive Child Health Programme-II, National Vector Borne Disease Control Programme, National Blindness Control Programme, National Iodine deficiency Control Programme, Revised National TB Control Programme, National Leprosy Eradication Programme and Integrated Disease Surveillance Programme.
Major achievements in North Eastern States under NRHM
- 42051 ASHAs have been selected against the target of 44857.
- Rogi Kalyan Samities have been constituted in 55 Districts Hospitals, 161 CHCs & 1095 PHCs.
- 8 new GNM Schools have been approved for assistance under NRHM.
- Funds to the tune of Rs. 1 crore each have been provided to 54 District Hospitals in the NE States. Strengthening of 5 district hospitals in Assam and Champai District Hospital in Mizoram have been approved as per requirements.
- State Hospitals viz. S.T.N.M. Hospital at Gangtok, Sikkim and State Civil Hospital at Aizawl, Mizoram are being assisted for upgradation. The State Civil Hospitals at Itanagar and Pasighat have also been assisted to the tune of Rs. 1 crore each.
- Of the 7643 Sub-Centres, 6003 are functional with Joint Accounts and 2488 have 2 ANMs in position.
- Of the 1109 PHCs, 793 have been made operational 24X7, 273 have Ayush MOs co-located in the PHCs and 245 have 3 Staff Nurses in position.
- Under Janani Suraksha Yojana Schme the number of beneficiaries during 2005-06, 2006-07 & 2007-08 (Till October 07) were 23219, 217311 and 238000 respectively.
- All the states of northeastern region have achieved the goal of elimination of leprosy (i.e. Prevalence Rate of less then 1 case per 10,000 population).
- An amount of Rs 1026 Crore has been approved for the State PIPs of all the eight NE States for various activities under NRHM. During 2007-08.
- Upgradation of Gauhati Medical College, Guwahati Assam has been taken up.
The details of funds allocated during the last three years for various schemes of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare to North Eastern Region (NER) can be seen at
Amount allocated for NE Region BE 2005-06
Amount allocated for NE Region BE 2006-07
Amount allocated for NE Region BE 2007-08
|1||Direction & Admn.||2297.00||1817.00||2000.00|
|2||Regional Health Offices||N.A.||N.A.||N.A.|
|3||Trg. of ANM/LHVs||648.00||648.00||600.00|
|5||Trg. of MPWs(male)||43.00||43.00||35.00|
|6||Role of Men in Planned Parenthood||N.A.||N.A.||1.00|
|7||Strengthening of Basic Training Schools||43.00||43.00||43.00|
|8||Rural FW Services -Sub-Centres||9520.00||6212.00||11500.00|
|9||Urban FW Centres||225.00||250.00||250.00|
|10||RCH Flexible Pool for State PIPs||34766.00||17577.00||24880.00|
|11||Procurement of Supplies & Materials||1500.00||2500.00||2000.00|
|12||Pulse Polio Immunisation||4500.00||1500.00||3180.00|
|13||Supply of Vaccines under Pulse Polio Immu.||N.A.||3000.00||2030.00|
|14||Supply of Vaccines under Routine Immu.||3440.00||1850.00||1650.00|
|15||NGOs (Public-Private Partnership)||1218.00||273.00||210.00|
|16||IEC (including PNDT Act)||980.00||580.00||770.00|
|17||Social Marketing of Contraceptives||288.00||145.00||500.00|
|18||Free supply of FP Material||255.00||450.00||200.00|
|19||Social Marketing Area Projects||50.00||10.00||50.00|