FDA play important role as they ensure that food is safe and wholesome, cosmetics won't hurt people, the medicines and medical devices are safe and effective, and that radiation-emitting products such as microwave ovens won't do harm. Feed and drugs for pets and farm animals also come under FDA scrutiny.
The FDA requires that drugs–both prescription and over-the-counter–be proven safe and effective. Food and Drug Administration resorts to legal action against the unlicensed dealers and monitor licensed manufacturers, traders.
The inspectorial staff attend the court for follow up cases. The cases result in acquittal for various reasons such as improper and/or incomplete investigation, non-compliance of the statutory procedure and most importantly ineffective conduct of cases and arguments at the trials and appellate stage. FDA can go to court to force a company to stop selling a product and to have items already produced seized and destroyed. When warranted, criminal penalties–including prison sentences–are sought against manufacturers and distributors.
M i s s i o n
- To study the existing provisions of law to find out lacuna if any and suggest necessary amendments.
- To give prompt and elaborate comments on the proposed changes, draft rules circulated by the Government of India from time to time.
- To advise in presenting view point of the FDA in a better manner before the forums such as Drug Technical Advisory Board, Drugs Consultative Committee and Central Committee For Food Standards
- To compile reported cases under various Acts implemented by FDA.
- To circulate gist of important judgments reported from time to time.
- To guide the officers in drafting of complaints, appeal memos and affidavits in reply to petitions filed in High Courts.
- AIDS program and policy activities, including research on AIDS, therepeutic products, diagnostic tests and vaccines
- Licensing biological products and manufacturing establishments, including plasmapherisis centre, blood banks, and vaccine manufacturers
- Programmers on creating public awareness;
State FDAs in India
- Drugs Control, Department, Govt. of Delhi – http://www.delhigovt.nic.in/
- FDA Maharashtra – http://www.fda-mah.com/
- Drug Control Administration, Tamil Nadu – http://www.tnhealth.org/
- Drug Control Department, Kerala, – www.kerala.gov.in/dept_drug/drugcontrol.htm
- Food and Drug Control Administration, Gujarat – http://www.gujhealth.gov.in/