Date: 21 Feb 2012 – 23 Feb 2012
Place: Florence, Italy
Organized by: ECDC,Istituto Superiore di Sanita’ (ISS)
and Agenzia Sanitaria Locale (ASL)
Epidemiological methods applied to vaccine preventable diseases is a 3 day workshop which will focus on building the capacity to organize, manage, and conduct training on epidemiological methods applied to vaccine-preventable diseases (VPD). The goal is to improve the participants’ skills as trainers.
Important points to be covered are:
- VPD Surveillance;
- Investigation of VPD outbreaks;
- Epidemiological studies of VPDs (safety / adverse events following immunisation, vaccine effectiveness, etc.);
- Effective methods for adult learning.
Learning objectives :
After attending the workshop, the participant should be:
- Familiar with interactive and adult learning methods, e.g. case studies;
- Able to lecture on surveillance, outbreak investigation and applied epidemiological research of VPD;
- Able to facilitate case studies in these areas;
- Able to define the target audience and to adjust material/contents;
- Able to mobilize resources (human, budget, etc) to organize training in this area.
Who will be the Target Audience?
The target audience includes epidemiologists/public health experts from EU member states (MS) and EEA/EFTA countries involved in surveillance of VPDs and immunization issues in their regular activities at national or regional levels.
Participants are expected to have at least 3 years of experience working in a national or regional public health institute on epidemiology of VPDs, a good command of English, and experience and motivation to teach others.
Having previously participated in the EPIET course on Vaccinology, the ECDC course of epidemiological aspects of vaccination for MS experts and/or in the Advanced Course of Vaccinology at Les Pensières (ADVAC) course will be considered an advantage.
In particular, we would like to address experts who have the capacity to organize similar training in the country, are acting as supervisors of the European Programme in Intervention Epidemiology Training (EPIET) and the European Public Health Microbiology Training Programme (EUPHEM), or are members of ECDC Disease.
Programme networks Selection process:
- Twenty seats will be available.
- To select the most appropriate candidates, we are asking the ECDC Competent Bodies to propose candidate(s), ranked in order of preference, based on national training needs. To facilitate the ranking proposed candidates are expected to fill in a short form about their current position, professional experience, and motivation. This form will be submitted through the Competent Body or directly by potential candidates.
The workshop will combine lectures, group discussion, participant presentations, and interactive case studies. Practical exercises are based on real investigations. Reference lectures and materials to develop training on epidemiological aspects of VPDs in the participants’ countries will also be provided.
In order to make this workshop as relevant as possible to national training needs, participants are expected to bring examples of data on VPD surveillance, outbreak investigation, and epidemiological studies. These could be used to prepare lectures (e.g. graphs, figures, learning points, etc.) and case studies that can be used in similar courses at the national or sub-national levels.